Sticky date is an Aussie favourite, and a JAMOSIE favourite in our home. These are egg and dairy free, and sugar reduced. They can be sugar-free as dates are naturally high in sugars and make the cupcakes sweet enough. You can make them gluten free as well by using a gluten-free self-raising flour.
Sticky-date cupcakes (makes 12)
1 cup of water
200 gm seedless dates
1 tsp bi-carbonate soda
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup brown sugar (leave out for sugar free)
1 1/4 cup self-raising flour (change for gluten free or whole meal to make more healthy)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs vanilla essence
1. Heat water in sauce pan and add dates. Once boiling take off cooker and let sit. Dates will become very soft and mushy.
2. Add bi-carb soda to dates. It will go frothy and bubbly, just mix in and it will thicken.
3. In separate bowl, add all other ingredients except flour. mix together. Oil won't mix in and will sit on top. Don't worry. This is normal.
4. Add dates to mixture and mix in.
5. Add flour and mix together. Should become nice and thick and glossy. When you pull your spoon out the mixture should stay on the spoon, not run off.
6. 3/4 fill cupcake cases and bake in oven 180 degrees Celsius for 12-15 mins. Check middle with skewer or fork.